[C38] Mast Steps - fasterners and snags?

Rich West rw at idea-asylum.com
Sun Jun 28 20:20:47 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of installing mast steps on my C38 and I'm having a raging
debate with myself about how to fasten them to the mast.  I thought I'd ask
for opinions before this argument ends badly for one of me!

I chosen the mast steps - the Ronstan type.  I found knock-offs for much
less money at marinepartdepot.com.  What I'm trying to decide is how to
attach them.  I'm worried about using self-taping screws in that the screws
could shag the internal halyards during halyard operation.  I found
self-taping screws at mcmaster.com that have blunt ends, but the ends,
though blunt, are still sharp.

Someone suggested taping the holes and using machine screws but that's going
to leave sharp edges inside the mast (risk of snagging again) and there
isn't much thickness of mast material to hold the threads.

I'm considering using blind rivets but hesitate only in that I don't see it
done.  Does anyone know why this might not be a good idea?  McMaster has
stainless rivets in many sizes and shapes.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rich West
Legacy, #360, now in San Diego

P.S. Go Larry!  Have a great sail!