[C38] Mast Steps - fasterners and snags?

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 28 23:05:05 EDT 2009

Hi Rich,

It's your boat but I sure would hate to see mast steps on any good sailing boat, especially one of our 38's.

I used to crew with a guy who had a boat in the Bahamas and he installed fixed mast steps and it really hurt his boat's sailing ability.  The steps create turbulence which causes a delaminating air across the mainsail making it less efficient.

On his next boat, he bought a nylon web steps system made from nylon strap which is raised in the sail slot providing nylon strap loops on the trailing edge of the mast.   I've used his web system and although not as easy to climb as the fixed steps, it was far better in every other way.  I can't remember the name of the steps system but it coils in a small package and stores out of sight until you need it.  It gives no weight aloft and doesn't cause loss of sail efficiency because it is only on the mast when you use it.

I personally use mountain climber gear attached to a Swiss seat and harness but that is more ambitious than most sailors want to mess with leaving the practical and portable web system a good second place choice in my opinion.  One other reason for using the web steps system is it doesn't weaken the mast like screws or rivets do,  not to mention the damage potential to the internal halyards.

In any case, good luck.

Tom Troncalli
Renata (hull #95)