[C38] Western Lake Erie advice

William Knowles whk1965 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 11:32:16 EDT 2009

Charles I spent about thirty years sailing on Erie. Put in Bay is about the
best anchorage out there well protected. the North side of Kellys island is
nice but if it blows from the north watch out.If you like amusement parks
especially roller coasters try Cedar point on Sandusky
bay, they have one of the largest coasters in the world, can be seen from
miles away. If yu get to Cleveland Edgewater Yacht my old Port of Call is
and good stop over with friendly people ( at least it used to be) and the
first couple of nights used to be free to other yacht club members. The
inner harbor is nice or was and the Rock and Roll hall of fame is right
there. Have a great trip.

Bill Knowles

Flying Goose

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Charles <charles at finn.ws> wrote:

> I have just finished the legs of my cruise through Lake Michigan, the
> northern islands of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay (700 nm so far) and am now
> in Detroit, Michigan at the Bayview Yacht Club (famous for its sponsoring of
> the "Mac" races).   Am about to enter Lake Erie (today) and have been told
> the Western end is great, but all I can find a lot about is "Put In Bay."
> Anyone have some advice regarding favorite or must see spots?  By the way,
> the winds and weather have been great, with lots of 8+ plus boat speed (I
> tend to reef when boat speed on the GPS gets consistently higher than 8.5 as
> weather helm builds at those speeds).   One fun fact is that I hit12.5 while
> motoring as I entered the St. Clair River going down to Detroit due to a
> very strong current!
>
> All hints would be helpful. Especially regarding anchorages that I should
> not try due to 6' 9" keel.
>
> Charles Finn
> Mighty Quinn #114
> Great Lakes