[C38] Western Lake Erie advice

Charles charles at finn.ws
Sun Jul 19 08:37:41 EDT 2009

I have just finished the legs of my cruise through Lake Michigan, the
northern islands of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay (700 nm so far) and am
now in Detroit, Michigan at the Bayview Yacht Club (famous for its
sponsoring of the "Mac" races).   Am about to enter Lake Erie (today)
and have been told the Western end is great, but all I can find a lot
about is "Put In Bay."   Anyone have some advice regarding favorite or
must see spots?  By the way, the winds and weather have been great, with
lots of 8+ plus boat speed (I tend to reef when boat speed on the GPS
gets consistently higher than 8.5 as weather helm builds at those
speeds).   One fun fact is that I hit12.5 while motoring as I entered
the St. Clair River going down to Detroit due to a very strong current!

All hints would be helpful. Especially regarding anchorages that I
should not try due to 6' 9" keel.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes