[C38] Possessory Interests

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 20 22:43:48 EDT 2009

Here's some information on Possessory Interest Tax.

http://www.danapointboaters.org/Files/Possessory%20Interest%20Tax/Intro%20and%20Why.pdf
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2000/00-2-017.html
http://assessor.lacounty.gov/extranet/overview/possint.aspx

It seems California needs money to cover all those illegal aliens, welfare recipients, and other expenses and what better way than to sock it to the rich.  (anyone with a boat is rich)

If California gets away with this tax, we are all doomed in other states too.  The most reasonable route for appeal is that most dock fees have gone up regularly.  Many marinas that were private are now taken over by the California government after California failed to renew the marina leases but the previous marina operators were paying the taxes to the state.  Now that the marinas are no longer paying the taxes, the California government wants the boat slip leasers to pay the tax but that is in effect a rate hike for the slip and is a violation of most slip agreements and even some local laws that establish the marina slip fees so this tax is contestable and should be appealed.

Tom Troncalli