[C38] Heat Exchanger

Charles charles at finn.ws
Wed Aug 19 09:43:23 EDT 2009

I had a new, larger heat exchanger installed on Mighty Quinn this
spring.  The boat yard that did the work did not bother to make a new
bracket that would fit the larger diameter and just clamped it in the
old bracket.  The wear on the exchanger due to the bad fit put a hole in
it that started as a slow coolant leak and finally failed when I was in
a canal lock.  The hole looks just like the ones we used to put in beer
cans before "poptops."   This all happened as I was sailing back east
through the Great Lakes this summer (about 2500 miles) when most of the
time I had no access to repair facilities.  Right now, the patched
exchanger is lying on a towel on top of the bracket in my motor.  The
boat yard which is 800 miles away has agreed to buy a new exchanger and
to waive the last $135 bill I owe them (they charged $700 for the clown
mechanic to do this (heat exchanger was another $400)).
So for some good news.  I am 6' 5", 230 lbs, with two knee replacements
that don't let me get near the heat exchanger even though I have cut out
the walls of the port lazzarette.  Turns out you can reach three of the
four hoses as well as the clamps through the starboard access in the
pilot's berth.  There is enough room to get the hose clamps off and you
can then pull the exchanger close enough to remove the hoses.  The
fourth hose runs to the front of the motor on the port side, below the
generator, which is a pretty easy position to get at.  It took me less
than an hour to remove the exchanger and maybe 1.5 hours to put it back
(the patch was another matter, but it has worked will over the last 100
miles of motoring with the mast on the deck through the canals to Lake
Champlain).
So now I have to make a bracket for the replacement exchanger.  I am
thinking of using 3"  pipe hangers and suspending it from the engine
compartment ceiling.   Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114