[C38] Dock Lines

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 19 12:54:27 EDT 2009

I have been using one of these on my boat for a while.  I didn't
recommend it because it was too small, and I worry about it moving on
the track accidentally.  I have found that using a line that blocks the
pin removes the possibility of it moving as long as the line is in
place, but that only works when the bight is over the pin, so I have to
make sure I have it pointing the right way when I use it.

	The ones you pointed out seem larger, but I will have to measure mine
to check.

	Someone asked about chafe.  I had a very disturbing experience over a
very short time.  I had tied the boat to a slip using the stern cleat on
the transom.  During the week the line slipped down to the edge of the
toe rail.  Within 2 days a 3/4 inch 3 strand line had chaffed through
two strands.  The end of the toerail is sharp edged, and had sliced like
a dull knife.  The ends of the strands looked like they had been cut
with shears.  I haven't used the stern cleats since, except at the buoy.

	I had not put chafing gear on "because it was temporary", but really I
don't usually use chaffing gear where we are becuause it is relatively
calm, however to be fair, the marina is replacing the breakwater, and
for now we are really exposed, causing greater swell action.  In fact,
it is not unusual for our boat at the buoy to hobby horse as much as 2-3
feet at the stern and bow.  This may seem at odds with my earlier
statement, but remember that we are on a buoy normally, and the
hobbyhorsing doesn't change the lead, as the buoy also is bounding
around.  Some chafe does occur, but within normal expectations for
normal mooring.  When I expect bad weather, or will not be available to
check the boat frequenly, I add chafing gear on both lines, and
sometimes double up with an additional line to the bouys, slack a bit,
but as a reserve.  The marina has my permission to add lines or add the
anchor to the ground tackle as required.

	It is so bad we are discussing an amidships boarding ladder for the
dinghy.  Only reason I haven't done it yet is of course the issue of
storage, and how to mount it on the deep tumble home of our beautiful
boats belly.  JACE and I are a lot alike in that respect.

	Here the marina suggests only the fire hose type of chaffing gear.
Their experience with the tubing is not good.

	Last year one of the larger sailing vessels with a large sprit and deep
dolphin striker broke loose and jack-hammered the boat next to it with
the dolphin striker, down one side, from bow to amidships.  Nearly
destroyed it.

	So remember you have a responsibility to your neighbors as well.

	Regards,
	Les H