[C38] Dock Lines

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Thu Aug 20 10:33:38 EDT 2009

> 2)  For the fitted lines for our particular slip, (again, with plastic
> water
> hose chafe protection spliced into the eyes

In his book "The Rigger's Apprentice" Brion Toss offers strong cautions
against plastic tubing as chafe protection. Apparently it doesn't let the
rope cool, and this contributes to heat induced failure.

This is consistent from my understanding of how ropes perform as I learned
when I used to climb, and since reading Toss I've been using old cotton
towels, wrapped several times and zip-tied in place.

HTH.