[C38] Water Heater Plumbing

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 20 11:37:59 EDT 2009

Hello,
You didn't say which engine you have but if you have the Universal 5424
24hp, it was equipped with a heat exchanger too small for the application
and the mounts to the bell housing tend to fatigue crack and fail
eventually.

After you fill any properly installed cooling system, it should naturally
"burp" any trapped air bubbles which is why you will need to add coolant at
least once after you refill the system.  If any portion of the system is
too mounted too high, as in a heat exchanger mounted to the top of the
engine compartment or a hot water heater mounted in the sail locker, the
system may never burp properly.  The highest point should be the filler
neck on the exhaust manifold.

I upgraded my cooling system with an expansion tank like modern cars have
so my system is "self burping."

There are many tricks to keep the Universal diesels cooler but the real
culprit in my opinion to the cooling problems of the early Universal 24hp
diesels is the heat exchanger.

Tom Troncalli