[C38] Engine Controls

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Sun Aug 30 15:23:20 EDT 2009

Hi David,

The first thing you to do is determine is if your engine has a
separate lever for fuel shut-off, or if the fuel is shut off by
pulling back on the throttle against the spring until the engine
stops.   My engine does not have the separate cutoff lever, and I
understand that this was the case with the 5424 for only a couple of years.

The issue is that the Morse control that has separate and removable
levers for throttle and shift is no longer made.   The single lever
controls all combine throttle and shift, with the center position
being "idle".  This does not allow you to cut off the fuel if your
fuel cutoff is the same cable as the throttle.

I considered removable levers as a mandatory feature as I assume that
sheets will get caught on the controls otherwise.   As we race, this
was a big concern, but I would think it would be an issue for
everyone.   I insisted on the control location being where I could
easily reach it while holding the tiller, so it was pretty much in
the middle of the cockpit.

If you have a separate cutoff lever on your engine, you can consider
a large range of engine controls, including the Spinlock ATCU, which
uses any standard winch handle for a lever.   The fuel shutoff can be
a standard "T" handle cable as is sold by Morse.  Morse is now owned
by Teleflex, and the combined company offers both single and dual
lever controls, but not with removable levers.  When I did my search
eight years ago, I tracked down an old timer at Morse who remembered
the removable lever version, and he said they discontinued it because
someone hit the gas, removed the levers, crashed into something and
then sued Morse.

If I can help, I think I downloaded and saved a bunch of information
about the various options, and I am sure I can find it if you need.

By the way, I highly recommend you take a ton of pictures from every
angle of all the parts and cables before you remove your pedestal and
related parts.  They will be invaluable if you decide as I did to go
back to the wheel after a few years.

Good luck,

David

At 10:19 AM 8/30/2009, you wrote:
>I was able to find a tiller from a fellow list member so now I have to
>find places for all the crap hanging off of my soon-to-off-the-boat
>pedestal, including the engine controls.
>
>For those of you who have tiller-steered boats, what location do you have
>your controls? Do you like it, would you try somewhere else?
>
>Also, I'm having a devil of a time shopping for said controls. The lever I
>have seems purpose made for the pedestal and I thought I'd take the
>opportunity to go back to one lever for throttle and one for
>forward/reverse so I can shut down the motor without having to reach into
>the hatch.
>
>But I'll be damned if I know what to look for on eBay or even on the
>Westerbeke site. Apparently "engine control lever" isn't it. Neither are
>any of the other words I'm trying.
>
>Help?
>
>Thanks!

David Epstein
President, Sound Solutions
Chairman, CEA TechHome Division
Member of the CEA Board of Industry Leaders
Member, CEA Division Executive Board
Tel 310.398.0032
Fax 310.398.0036
www.soundsolutions.com