[C38] Heat Exchanger

Robert Miller chapuys at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 11:13:45 EDT 2009

Just a follow up that Tom asked me for.  Went for a sail last Saturday.
Motored out to Point Loma at 2500 rpm which took about 40 minutes.
Temperature stayed between 165-175.  With the old exchanger it would have
been close to 200.  One suggestion I have when swapping out the exchanger to
make it easier:  Attach all the NEW hoses to the heat exchanger before you
install it.  Leave at least an extra foot on each hose just to make sure
they will reach as the new exchanger is longer and the distances will not be
the same as with the old exchanger.  That way you can do 4 attachments while
sitting in the cockpit sipping a beer and then have only two fittings and
clampings to accomplish squeezed in the lazarette and two on the forward end
of the engine.  Including three trips to San Diego Marine Exchange for hoses
I spent a total of 5 hours on the project.

Bob Miller
"Bolero" at Southwestern YC in San Diego