[C38] Heat Exchanger

Charles charles at finn.ws
Mon Sep 14 12:26:36 EDT 2009

I finally took apart my old exchanger yesterday.  Mine had an
inspection/clean out port on the end, but the unit is positioned in the
engine compartment so that regular maintenance is never going to
happen.  I was surprised to discover the cooling tubes were clean.
What I did find was Zebra Mussel shells blocking the intake chamber.
These beasties are an ever increasing problem in the Great Lakes.
By the way, I do have a screen on my water intake.  I can only surmise
these mussels actually grew in my cooling system as the shells I found
were much larger than the screen....

While I am happy to have a larger exchanger, I think in retrospect I
might have stuck with the old exchanger (cleaned out of course) while
sailing in cooler waters.

I also have to figure out how to deal with this issue as it appears it
will be a re-occurring problem.

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes