[C38] boom vang failure

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:41:56 EDT 2009

Dear Group: Pertinent to recent discussions on booms and vangs, our
Garhauer vang ripped off the boom last weekend during a big jibe. The
rivets failed. To repair the mess, we drilled out the vang bracket to
accommodate 5/16 bolts, moved its position about 1 inch aft (avoiding
the corroded rivet holes), then drilled and tapped the boom  for 5/16
bolts (this was the repair procedure recommended by Mark at Garhauer).
Hope these bolts hold, the boom material is not thick!
    No one was hurt, thanks to the boom being pretty much above and away
from the cockpit.  However, the hard driving crew (my daughter,
son-in-law, and their racy friends) did have something to think about.
Personally, I'm a chicken-jiber; complete with preventer and centering
up the boom before bringing the stern through the wind.
Don