[C38] "Re-invent the Wheel"

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 11 18:15:53 EDT 2009

Checklist for first time guests sailing?  The most common occurrence I can think of with taking people who have never sailed before is they get in their bathing suits, go forward on the fore deck, and after warning them of the powerful sun's rays in central Florida, they always say "I never burn."  Every time I hear that idiotic remark, I know I will have to listen to them complain all night of their sunburn as they drink my adult beverages to diminish their pain keeping everyone else awake all night as they suffer.

I can't count the times this scenario has repeated itself on my boat.  Nothing I say seems to work to keep my guests from grilling themselves to well done or charred.  I cringe any time I hear "I never burn" no matter when or where I hear it from all the suicidal solar experiences I've observed on my boat.

How do you put this on a check list?  Is "Natural Selection" appropriate here and just let nature run its course?

Tom Troncalli
Sunny St. Pete, Fla