[C38] Hello from SMX! (wasRe: Hello from Bermuda)

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sat Nov 28 01:08:08 EST 2009

Joe,

Pros include, stronger, smooth surface - no area for water entrapment, cons would be that when rod is bent as at the spreaders it looses strength.  But Im sure that the powers to be that determine loads have factored that into consideration when specifiying sizes for a rig.  Also more expensive.

One thing we found when we had our rig done two years ago was that the collars inside the mast over the through bolts had considerable wear from the days of wire halyards (photo attached).

Steve