[C38] CNG

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Dec 21 18:05:47 EST 2009

Dear Jay:
    We have CNG on Discreet Charm, and there are at least two places to
refill your tank in the Bay Area. When we sail to So Cal, we are very
careful with our gas because we have not been able to find refill
stations south of the Bay. In fact, one old salt in Santa Barbara
replied to my query of "where can I refill?" the silly insult that boats
shouldn't have mickey mouse motor home stoves. Real salts have propane.
bla bla bla. Turns out motor homes use propane, as far as I can tell.
    We do enjoy the notion that if somehow the stove runs unlit, the
stuff won't gather low like propane and create a bomb. On the other
hand, CNG has lower heat density than propane by quite a bit. We have to
refill lots more often than were we to have propane. If I were starting
over or planning lots of long distance sailing, I would switch to propane.
    Do enjoy your C38, awesome boat!
regards, Don

Jay Sorensen wrote:

> Greetings All.  We recently purchased C-38 Hull # 311 "Broad Reach"
> with the original CNG system.  The boat is going to be a San Diego
> boat and I was wonder what other So Cal owners have done to fill their
> tank.  Is there an exchange site around, do you use an adaptor and
> fill at the auto stations, or has everyone given up and converted to
> propane?  Love the boat overall, but this CNG issue may be a hassle
> for weekend cruising.  Would also like to hear from other C-38 owners
> in the area to exchange ideas and information.  We can be contacted
> off list at jsorensen at novarx.com <mailto:jsorensen at novarx.com>
>

> Thanks!
>

> Jay & Dorothy Sorensen
>
> C-38 #311 "Broad Reach"