[C38] Follow on two older posts

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Fri Jan 29 23:50:29 EST 2010

Attached is a photo of fried shore power plugs, earlier there was a thread about fuses and running heaters etc down below.  I mentioned a box of plugs that had burned up at our local chandlery.  Just remember that no matter how many fuses are inside the boat all of the current is passing through three prongs at the shore power cord connection.   So for instance you may have three 15 amp fuses on the panel maxed out with no problems, everything will run fine without tripping the breaker on any of the three,  that total of 45 amps is coming through one shore power connection.   Its an easy job each year to pull most shore power plug apart and the male connection on the boat to check for clean and secure terminals.

Ice box insulation was the other thread, I just drilled a few small test holes in my icebox and found that it does in fact have 2" of insulation.  My boat was manufactured in 1985.  The easiest point to check without drilling is to remove the teak that holds the plastic divider on the upper most portion and to push a small drill bit in the hole, if it is insualted you should feel the and hear the insulation compress as you press the drill bit in.

Steve
Peregrine #312
Seattle