[C38] FW: Attn. West Coast sailors

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Tue Mar 16 15:06:57 EDT 2010

Follow up on the coastal sailing post, from one of my crew members with
lots of experience.
Steve
#312 Peregrine

Steve please run through this and comment. If you think this will work
feel free to send it on. Randy

Hi all, I have crewed on two races to Hawaii,and the following
deliveries:One Hawaii to Seattle, two Seattle to San Fransisco and one
San Fransisco to Astoria. I am by no means an expert but have developed
some opinions on passage making. There are three key elements to a safe
and sussesful successful trip. They are stay away from dirt, fitting the
trip to the crew and the boat,and making do with what sea and the wind
will allow.
The first Seattle to San Fran trip:
Boat: C&C 39
Time: last week of June
Crew consisted of 4 adults and my 14 year old son. We left Seattle at
about 9 pm and motor sailed to Cape Flattery. We reached the ocean at
about dinner time, turned left on a beam reach. Within 6 hours we were
on a hard beat for two plus days. Our course was headed out to sea After
a day we cracked off some to the relieve of the crew and the Boat. When
the wind shifted we tacked towards shore, at this point we were about
100 miles off shore. The wind slowly clocked around so that last two
days were a spinnaker run. the trip was non stop to San Fran.Typical
conditions when beating- wind 15-20 knots, seas 4-5 foot. Conditions
when running- wind 10-20 knots sea 1-4 foot.
San Francisco to Astoria
Boat: Pyramid 45
Time: first of May.
The crew consisted of 3 adults. One crew was new to both the skipper and
I and the boat was new to all of us the skipper had sailed the boat
several times in the bay but that was it. After spending half a day
checking every thing out ( the boat had been previously hauled and
checked by the skipper) we motor sailed out of the bay. By 8pm the wind
was pushing 50 Knots. The highest I saw was 58 knots. The anemometer
blew off the mast shortly there after. Our course was away from dirt and
the highest point  we could sailed with a #4 only and 20+ foot
seas.(note these conditions were not in the weather forecast) When
conditions allowed us sail like normal folks we 100 miles offshore and
12 miles south of  the San Fran bay. We had a 5 day beat from there to
Astoria. We thought the bar crossing was the best conditions we had seen
until we watched a freighter heading out to sea stuff its bow in a wave
and take green water back to the second gantry. This  passage is the
only time I've been ready get off the boat when we hit port, most of
time its "oh no we're here allready". The feeling was short lived , a
week later I was racing this boat to Victoria.  The trip was non stop.
the conditions after the blow were winds   15-30, seas 3-8 foot.
Second trip Seattle to San Fransisco
Boat:Pyramid 45
Time: Last week of June.
The crew consisted of the skipper, his 14 year old son. my !5 year old
son and myself. We left Seattle in the evening motored sailed to Cape
Flattery with a short stop At Port Angeles to repair the shaft coupling.
After we turned left we had short period of beam reaching, then the wind
clocked aft and we spent the rest of the trip running. The majority of
the time we had 20-30 knot winds and 5-8 seas. we spent most of the time
sailing under a 110 square foot storm jib tacked to the baby stay and no
main it was a blast the boat surfed and was hitting 11 knots. Our basic
tactic was jibe away from dirt in the dark and jibe towards dirt in the
daylight. We were never more tha 20 miles of the coast. Once we left
Port Anglese the passage was non stop.
Now to answer your Questions:
Disclaimer- these are my personal opinions and need to be adjusted to
your boat and crew.
Do I hug the coast or head out to sea? You need the confidence in your
boat and crew to able to head out to sea no matter which route you
intend to take. The further you stand off shore the less traffic to deal
with. In general we saw more shipping in close particulary fishing
vessels which were not well lit. The wind and seas were  bigger but more
consistant and well behaved offshore. Our first choice would be be to
head to out to sea.Granted we always had crews which loved being at sea
and felt comfortable being out to  sea. We felt safer with room between
us and dirt. but we were quick adjust when conditions said other wise.
on the  second trip down the wind was blowing right where we wanted to
go. So down the coast we went. During daylight we headed back to shore
until we saw it then jibed away until the next morning. The other two
coastal trip we end up hundred plus miles off shore partly that was the
best and most comfortable course to sail.
Do I hop ports or stay at sea? For myself and the people I sailed with
being on the water was why we made the trip. It takes a couple of days
to adapt to living on a boat at sea, so I  want to do that as few times
as possible. every time I spend much time in port I have to readapt.
Also I have heard (I have no first hand knowledge) alot of the ports can
be challenging to enter,paticulary along the Washington and Oregon
coast.So choose your ports carefully. One other consideration is how
along can your crew maintain watches without fatiuging. A tired and
unhappy crew can make for a lousy and possibly an unsafe  passage.
Finally if I felt I needed a port to run to for safety I would
reconsider the  trip.  Hpoe this made sense and I would be open to
further diccussion. Randy Doull