[C38] FW: Re: Questions, questions

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 12:22:32 EDT 2010

Hello sailors,

I have been reading the inverter posts with interest.  I have several
inverters and all of mine are of the modified sine wave type which are
cheaper but not as efficient as a true sine wave, especially starting an
inductive load such as a motor.

Inductive loads like motors usually require more current at start up but
the modified sine wave inverters require even more than the true sine wave
inverters, as much as 200% of the running load.  Purely resistive loads
like incandescent light bulbs are not effected by the less efficient
modified square wave outputs of the cheaper inverters but inductive loads
like motors are another story.

All of my inverters produce about 120v at the hot output side of the
receptacles.   The common side of the outlet should be zero output voltage
from the inverter in a perfect world but as Les pointed out, there are
usually small transient voltages on that leg in even the best inverters.

Grounding the inverter should reduce or eliminate these "ground loops" as
the old timers used to call them.  The transient voltages on the  common
cold side of the outlets of our inverters can also interfere with
electronic equipment on board reducing the sensitivity of our VHF radios as
well as making "white noise" on other radios, especially AM reception.

Getting back to the idea of using industrial rated 3-way light switches to
make a load transfer system may require more discussion.

A typical 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter will probably never require
over 28 momentary amps even on a momentary surge startup condition.  The
industrial rated 3-way switches I have been using are rated at 30 amps and
cost just under $13 at Lowe's and Home Depot.

I have personally used this load transfer switch technique on 3 boats and 5
homes over a 20 year period and I have yet to experience a single failure.
The main solenoid switch on my home air conditioning is only 30 amps and
I'm sure it gets more abuse than we will ever give a similar rated switch
on a little 2000 watt inverter.

At one time, we had a portable second air conditioner on our Catalina 38
mounted on a bridge over the v-berth mounted between the two side
pin-rails.  I have pictures if anyone is interested.  That air conditioner
was a modified  8,500 BTU window unit with a water cooled condenser and
cooled by a 120v sea water pump mounted under the v-berth on the bulkhead
holding the water tank.

As an experiment, I powered the water cooled forward air conditioner with
my 2000 watt inverter system and the system did just fine.  I didn't leave
it running long because the load on my engine alternator was beyond its
capacity to keep my house batteries charged but it did instill confidence
in the load capacity of my inverter setup.  After that, the only thing I
used the inverter system for was for running my 120v refrigerator, the
microwave, and sometimes an electric saw or drill.  As a rule on inverters,
if you can start an inductive load, you can run it since the most demand is
in the first few seconds trying to get things going.

A 30 amp switch can carry a whole bunch of current, more than a 2000 watt
inverter will probably ever need.  If you use two switches, you can divide
the loads giving any high demand load its own switch for more safety or if
you use an inverter larger than 2000 watts.

Good luck,

Tom Troncalli
Recovering ex-owner of a Catalina 38

Thanks!

> > Chuck Finn
> > Mighty Quinn #114
> > Great Lakes
> >
> > On 7/8/2010 4:33 PM, T. Troncalli wrote:
> > > Hello Charles,
> > >
> > > I'm behind in reading my emails but if I'm not too late, there is an
> > > alternative to having a dual wiring system on your boat to
accommodate an
> > > inverter.
> > >
> > > I ran the receptacles from three outlet boxes to a double pole
switch.  The
> > > common terminal on the double pole switch ran to the three
receptacles and
> > > one of the switchable terminals ran to my 120v service and the other
to the
> > > inverter.  With this system those outlets would deliver either shore
power
> > > or inverter power depending on how the double pole switch was set.
> > >
> > > I had one outlet box in the corner of the quarter berth above the
mattress
> > > and below the electrical panel.  With that outlet, I could run things
on the
> > > nav station like TV's, phone chargers, etc.
> > >
> > > I had another outlet just forward of the sink drain valve door on the
side
> > > of the end of the aft table seat just to starboard of my house
batteries.
> > > This outlet was fairly central to things in the cabin and with an
extension
> > > cord I could reach anywhere in the boat.
> > >
> > > The third outlet on this system was in my sail locker which ran my
120v
> > > refrigerator when underway as well as giving me a source of 120 volts
in the
> > > cockpit if the sail locker was open.
> > >
> > > A good double pole industrial grade switch is cheap but you can also
use an
> > > industrial rated 3-way light switch found at any hardware store like
Lowe's
> > > or Home Depot.   The nice thing about using a 3-way switch is you can
use a
> > > plastic residential switch enclosure making installation very cheap
and
> > > easy.
> > >
> > > If you want, you can even make two or three transfer switch circuits
> > > allowing more dual voltage outlets as well as allowing more current
from an
> > > inverter or genset without exceeding the amperage limits of your
switch.

> > > I've have also used this system to run my whole house when we had
power
> > > outages.  I had 10 transfer switches.
> > >
> > > One other nice thing about using multiple switches to transfer the
loads to
> > > an inverter or genset is that this system stages the transfer so the
> > > inverter or genset can adjust to the increased loads as the loads are
> > > switched.  When I tried to use a large single 40 amp motor contactor
relay
> > > to power my house it would stall my generator with the same loads that
> > > worked fine using multiple double pole switches to accomplish the same
> > > transfer.
> > >
> > > I wrote an article about wiring generators using multiple double pole
> > > switches back in the Y2K daze when everyone thought the sky was
falling.  MY
> > > article was cloned and plagiarized all over the world and no telling
how
> > > many people used this technique.  Every now and then I still run
across a
> > > clone of my original article, usually including spelling errors and
all.

> > > Good luck,
> > >
> > > Tom Troncalli
> > > Recovering ex-Catalina 38 owner

I will
> > > do this simply by running separate wires to the outlets and removing
the
> > > jumper to separate upper outlets.  But I have two questions.
> > >
> > > 1.  What type of wire was used on the AC side of our boats?  Are they
> > > stranded wire?  What gauge?
> > > 2.  I would like to use the common ground that is already wired in,
which
> > > will save running a third wire.  I don't think this is a problem, but
sure
> > > would like to hear if it is!
> > >
> > > On another topic, the forward in my transmission went away three
weeks ago
> > > just before I had to leave for two weeks of business in California.
> > > This meant I had to pay folks to remove it and repair it....
something I