[C38] Boat Fire

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Tue Jul 27 02:36:41 EDT 2010

Seems to be the month for fires,  I just had a situation on our power boat, a searay 21 open bow ski boat.  I was going to use it this weekend for pulling Jr. High kids at church camp and took it out for the first time to make sure it started and all worked as this was the first use since winterizing it last year.  About a mile from the dock I noticed the temp was higher than normal so I came to a stop to find smoke billowing out from under the engine cover along with some crackling noises.  quick action and I do mean quick emptied two fire extinguishers.   Hand held flare ignited and two jets skis and a power boat arrived promptly and the police shortly there after.  Not sure of the damage yet as I need to get the boat to the dealer.   Im passing along this post for general information learned from the experience.

First the coast guard requires one fire extinguisher, I had two for good measure.......let me tell you that was not enough, it is amazing how quickly (2 seconds maybe) they discharge.  After the second one was expended it was a horrible feeling to still see smoke, hear crackling noises and realize I had no more extinguishers....On Peregrine I have two I will be picking up at least three more, and not the small ones.

My flares were current and came in handy, again I have a the required amount, on Peregrine we have many more

We also have Vessel Assist coverage with BoatUS...for the $50 or so dollars that it costs I will save multiples of that tomorrow as we have the boat towed to the boat ramp.

We all prepare for the unexpected never expecting it to happen to us, when it does you cant be over prepared.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle