[C38] Boat Fire

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Jul 27 03:59:00 EDT 2010

Steve,
     When you get your new extinguishers (at least 3) get the large
size. Make sure they are ABC extinguishers. For some reason no one seems
to get taught about extinguishers (we call them first aid units). A
Class A fire is burning wood and textiles (your curtains etc.), Class B
burning oils and greases, Class C electrical fire. You never know what
fire you get so be ready for them all.   In my last power boat, I had
automatic Halon bottles in the engine compartment. Halon puts out fire
by eliminating air so is contraindicated in people spaces but great for
engine compartments. Water is ok for class A fires but very bad for B
and C. It spreads burning oils and kills you if you put it on a Class C
electrical fire.  Class D fires are burning metals - no extinguisher -
just run like hell. Joe