[C38] Heater Installation

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Nov 28 23:12:51 EST 2010

Alden,

Sorry for the late reply, I was in Palm Springs when you posted your question about heat.   I have a Webasto forced air unit it is installed in the port side cockpit locker underneath the coaming.  I have two large vents one in the galley and one under the port sette just aft of the mast (it faces to starboard)  then two small ones one in the head and one in the Vee Berth.  To be honest the two small ones are for looks as they are worthless at warming the compartments.   The two large ones work very nice and heat up the cabin quickly.   My unit runs off of diesel and is plumbed into the tank with the fuel pump being tucked away on the starboard side of the compartment underneath the quarter berth.  I had the control unit installed forward of the nav station (louzy location)  I would recommend installing the control unit near where you sleep when cruising it would sure be nice to turn it on in the mornings and wait a few minutes before getting up to a nice cozy warm cabin rather than jumping across the boat and turning it on in the cold.

The forced air is nice BUT the cabin cools down quickly when it is off and the control head is an on/off rather than a thermostat.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle