[C38] New Owner w/Roller and prop question

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 12 16:32:16 EST 2010

Oversized props have lots of issues, from adding propwalk, to under
reving the engine (which damages diesels and decreases fuel economy).
Almost every engine expert will tell you that the engine/prop/boat
design combination should let the engine just about reach maximum RPM at
the boats best speed.  If this is not true, or if you have more RPM with
no increase in boat speed, the prop is beginning to cavitate, causing
prop erosion and other issues.  If the prop gets too close to the hull,
it has insufficient "feed", and will not produce effective thrust, and
actually slow the boat down.  There are other issues as well, entire
books have been written on prop selection and on engine/boat/prop
design.  This is a good reading subject, and you will learn a lot about
hydrodynamics, power, thrust, and other issues vital to good boat
design.

	And remember that our boats are displacement boats, so planing is not
part of the design and probably not possible with any reasonable (and
probably not even with unreasonable) amount of horse power.

Regards,