[C38] Separation Anxiety

tom yost mayoryost at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 12:58:07 EST 2010

Glenn,

During a rough Mackinac race I had the starboard chain plate base separate from the hull. This showed up as we were trying to find out why the hanging locker was banging its way topside through the deck.(Thank goodness for the telephone pole of a mast.) The base is an L-shaped piece of stainless that is glassed onto the hull and connects to the long piece of stainless that is bolted to the hanging locker bulkhead for the upper shrouds. At the bottom of the hanging locker is a hump under which is the L-shaped piece. Unfortunately on my 38 (hull 346) the L piece had a bunch of filler around it and only one piece of glass to hold it to the hull. The piece does not lay flat against the hull but is angled up maybe an inch and a half maybe more, its been awhile. I would check out that hump. The fix was to cut away the hump retrieve the L piece and build up the hull with glass to match the L piece and then re bed the piece and use enough glass to make sure it
 doesn't happen again. The port side also has the same set up but seems to be stronger as the aft wall of the head (fiberglass) is used to help support the chain plate. Starboard side, there is a second hump forward of the L hump in the hanging locker, that has a plate attachment point for the support wire from the forward stay to connect to. This seems to be OK as usually there is not that much stress on it.

This separation has occurred on at least one other 38 here in the Great Lakes and is a weak spot.

Tom

Eagledancer