[C38] Separation Anxiety

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 14 12:10:03 EST 2010

Hi, Glen,
	The chain plates for the upper shrouds attach to the aft bulkhead of
the cabinet.  That is the long stainless bar that comes down the side of
the locker.  If the boat has too much tension in the shrouds, that can
be part of the problem.  Also boats that use backstay adjustment to
flatten the sail add stress to the mast and rigging, although I wouldn't
think it would move it in the direction you state.

Inside the hanging locker near the middle, there are heavy stainless
connections that lead lower in the boat.  I have not looked at exactly
where they tie off, but these will pull up and maybe forward or aft
depending on which set of lower shrouds is taking the bulk of the pull.

The area you are describing is quite important to the security of the
rigging.  I think you need to get a rigging expert to check what is
going on.  Since the boats do have some give to them, it is likely that
whatever it is at this small offset (1/2") can be corrected by simply
ensuring that the rigging tie points are secure.

	However, some places in the boat rely on wood spacers or blocking to
position the various interior bits, and it may be that something has
deteriorated and allowed some bit of the liner support or settee support
to collapse.  These bits are a bit "custom" to each hull, applied as
required at the factory in most cases, and while the positions are
pretty much standard, the exact size and placement may vary a bit due to
minor variations in hull, liner, positioning or other manufacturing
tolerances.

	Also because the bulkhead is pretty vital to the stability of the mast
shrouds, I would get it checked ASAP. But that is just my opinion.

Regards,
Les H