[C38] Maybe I just as crazy as some people tell me...

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Sat Jan 23 09:16:19 EST 2010

The engine in the Mighty Quinn is never touched by sea water.  It has
its own cooling system with anti-freeze just like the one in my car.
The "radiator" is the heat exchanger, which completely isolates my
engine from seawater.
So, why am I so willing to pay a whole lot more for a "marineized"
engine?  I live in the northeast and we heavily salt the roads out
here.  My car's engine, alternator, etc. always have a salt grime on
them in the winter months.  I would be surprised if my boat's engine was
exposed to even a fraction of what my non-marinized engine gets.
So, why would I pay thousands more to purchase marinized parts for an
engine that is never going to get the exposure the one in my car does?
I live in the country and you can purchase a brand new diesel tractor
with more horsepower than our boats have for about what a new marinized
engine costs.

Maybe this is just the ruminations of a sailor with his boat "on the
hard," wishing for blue skies and great sailing...
Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes