[C38] One project down

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed Jan 27 11:23:21 EST 2010

Steve,
Nice job!  I am currently redesigning my nav station and want to finish
it before the Mighty Quinn "splashes" in early May.  One issue I am
concerned about with my enclosure is the ambient heat generated by the
radio, chart plotter, etc.  While this may not be a problem in northern
climates, I was wondering whether you had allowed for a 12 volt box
fan?  Heat on electronics can be good as it can reduce humidity, but it
also can hurt as well.

Some additional items I have added are a 2000 watt inverter (located
under the galley sink to reduce 12v. cable length from the batteries
(190 amp hours), with connection to the panel so I can isolate it from
shore power. 195 watts of solar panel as well as a 400 watt wind
generator integrated into my charging system.   I also have a microwave
mounted under the chart table (a real waste of space on my boat). And a
separate VHF radio isolated with separate antenna in case the main unit
in the cockpit is compromised.

Have you converted your nav and cabin lights to LED?  With only 33 amp
hours to draw upon, perhaps this would be a good idea?  I went to a
tri-color/anchor light three years ago and converted the cabin last
summer with excellent results.  In particular, I would recommend the
1142-pcb-wwhp9 unit from Superbrightleds.com for cabin lighting as it is
a simple replacement for our incandescent lights and actually gives
better illumination.

As our venerable ex-technical editor, Tom T. observed, our boats are
aging and probably the area most easily to overlook is the electronics
lurking behind the teak.  Tom's departure is a shock and loss to the
Catalina 38 Association (say it ain't so Tom!), and we probably should
take some time to gather all the articles, messages, etc. he has shared
with us over the years because he won't be around in the future to steer
us right with those observations.   Thank you, Tom for all you have done
for us!

Charles Finn
Mighty Quinn, #114
Great Lakes