[C38] One project down

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:09:29 EST 2010

For a project like this I would recommend installing buss bars and terminal
blocks behind the panel. They will make it safer and easier to work on. Just
like Dana did on her boat. I have done the same, but I kept(hopefully for
the moment) the original panel.
The difference has been huge. Every time that I had to replace a switch I
ended up breaking another one, and the ground bar in between the switches
was a real hazard.
I just installed a piano hinge on the panel plywood cover and cut about 1
1/2"  along the top, and screw this 1 1/2" to the original position (This is
where I installed the latch) so when I open it, it won't touch the teak
rails covering the infinite  number of bolts from the genoa tracks.
The panel is a lot safer. In fact Is the best modification that I have done
on my boat, and this, plus the bars installation only took less than a
morning and that was it......
I will recommend this for everybody with the original panel, and of course
for those upgrading for new breaker panel.
Catalina 38 web page.
I have some pics of my panel on my blog on the Hope this helps,

Max