[C38] Sheeting #3

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Wed Feb 17 02:47:58 EST 2010

Robert,
    I would start with the July/August edition of Sailing World which
had a story about Soozal, the Summit 40 with 6 Harken electric winches.
I lost 6 bags of racing sails & a lot of other gear including my spin
pole in the Jesusita Fire. I spent a good chunk of my insurance money on
2 harken 53's and a harken 44 (mainsheet) electric winches together with
a dozen Panasonic low voltage switches. I spent more than a month
researching switches and settled on the Harken mid-priced switch (not
standard). The installation took from July to February, partly because
we were waiting for the winches and mostly because I did the
installation myself with the help of my crew, my diesel mechanic and an
excellent marine electricain (vital). Getting the old Lewmar 52
primaries out was difficult as I had to cut large access holes. I guess
I ought to take photos of the finished product. We re done except for
light teak plywood cover plates to cover the access holes in the galley
and quarterberth overheads. We love the winches. Joe