[C38] (no subject)

Richard West rw at idea-asylum.com
Wed Feb 24 17:23:51 EST 2010

Hi Ken and group,

We had an inner forestay on Legacy and I am now taking it off.  The previous
owner installed it.  It was a permanent forestay.  We carried a small,
heavy, furled sail on it for 15,000 miles and only used it twice.  One time
we were in about 35 knots of wind and when the wind came up even higher, we
couldn't get it rolled up (I guess this could be more a function of the
roller furler than the inner stay).

We found that just unrolling a small bit of our jib was much more effective
than the sail on the inner stay ever was.  Also, Legacy does really well
with no head sail and a triple reefed main.

The only thing I really found the inner stay useful for was getting off the
cabin top to the foredeck.  It made a good handhold.  I would not have one
again and I am looking forward to getting the weight off the boat.

Rich West
Legacy, #360, San Diego