[C38] wow, north along the Pacific coast?

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 1 20:44:30 EST 2010

Anders: It won't be much sailing from here to Puget sound unless you go
the great circle via Hawaii. The direct route takes you bashing into
north winds and waves. Another way of putting it is as "one mutha of a
motor"  against prevailing winds with widely separated, difficult to
enter, refuges . A guy in our marina did it in some huge nordic trawler
and used multiple thousands of gallons of fuel. He stayed up there two
years before returning, then boasted about how his boat could go
anywhere.  Another guy I know cruised his 40 foot sailboat  from SF to
Puget Sound on I10 at 55 mph behind a truck that he hired, then he
cruised back down by the same route. Said he had a lovely time. An
oceanographer friend of mine begins technical presentations with the
observation that norCal, Oregon, and Washington combine to make the
windiest coast in the world outside of the Southern Ocean.
Don

Anders Finn wrote:
> I've never been out there but if you need any crew for a portion of it
> to or from SF, gimme a shout!
>
> Anders
>
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 16:17 -0800, ssorton at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>> This summer during July/August I'm contemplating sailing our boat from
>> Southern California North to Puget Sound- some 1450 miles.  The
>> distance actually traveled could be twice the point to point distance
>> due head winds.  My question to the Cat 38 group is, does anybody have
>> experience making this trip?  Do you follow the coast putting into 3
>> or 4 ports, or sail westerly and make a right return?
>>
>> Thank you for any advice,  Steve Orton (Santa Susanna- # 304)

Donald R. Strong
Professor
Section of Evolution and Ecology
University of California Davis