[C38] mainsheet traveler.

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sat Apr 10 12:30:17 EDT 2010

Ken,
    Sorry for the late reply - I have been busy. The best penetrating
oil we have found is called Kroil - if that does not break it free -
violence is next. We finally replaced our entire traveler with a new
Harken traveler and absolutely love it. I will not be at the boat until
wed but will take photos and send them. Our traveler bolts were
electrolitically welded when we took delivery of the  boat, six months
or so after manufacture. I made the mistake of letting that stop me from
replacing the traveler then. I did install Harken adjustable genoa
tracks then and love those too.
    We used the Harken high bridge track. At first we were stumped
because it is not recommended for an unsupported span the size of ours.
I picked up a bar of T6061 aluminum, 1/2 inch thick by 2  inches wide
and placed that under the traveler. We then used 10 bolts to connect the
two - 3 at each end for the Harken bridge sections and four spaced
across - leaving the center 16 inches open to clear the hatch. Worked
fine. Since the 10 holes had to be precise - we had them drilled in a
machine shop.
    The big drama came when we pulled off the huge teak blocks at each
end of the old traveler. We were shocked to find that they had been
attached by 3 8 inch old 1/4 inch bolts each. The factory had taken 2 -
4 inch bolts and welded them together. We kept them and are using them
for paint stirrers.
    The crew loves the new traveler since we can easily move it under a
load.   Joe Launie/Macavity