[C38] Traveler Upgrade

littlebreeze at comcast.net littlebreeze at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 01:38:22 EDT 2010

Steve S

How did you manage 12:1 inside the boom

Kerry Grimes
Little breeze,139

----- Original Message -----
From: "S Orton" <ssorton at hotmail.com>
To: listserve at catalina38.org, tdtron at earthlink.net
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 10:29:47 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [C38] Traveler Upgrade

Steve S, If you use a loose footed main, all the vertical load from the boom goes through the clew to the leech no matter what the sheeting arrangement is. My problem for the outhaul wasn't that I didn't have enough mechanical advantage, as I have a small winch mounted forward on the boom, but it was trying to relieve the out haul. I would be beating to the weather mark, round the mark, set the spinnaker, try to ease outhaul, and I would be half way to the leeward mark before I could "hammer" the damn thing loose to soften the main. So that is why I threw the original equipment car away. Anybody need a boom outhaul car? You pay the postage and it is yours.
Cheers, Steve O