[C38] Spinnakers

D. R. Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 25 09:41:53 EDT 2010

Steve: Joe's perspective brings to mind a story that an old guy told me;
back in the day the C38 was meant to be an upgrade for the Cal 40 (in
what capacity I don't recall). He said that while our boats were good on
every point of sail but one, the "one" on which we were "squirrels" (his
term) was key to the spinnaker slot car race that is known as the
TransPac. Not good.  On the other hand, Barking Spider, a C38 under pole
spinnaker won her class in the Transpac a few years ago (waxing the
Cal40s, I seem to remember---somebody correct me if I err).  ... We sail
Discreet Charm with an asym that will round up severely in heavy air,
readily pulling the rudder out of the water: stark terror! One
particular experience of that sort resulted in my wife imposing a
spinnaker moratorium when she is on board.  You clearly know more about
spinnakers than do I, however.
Don

Joseph Launie wrote:
> Steve,
>     The C-38 is a broach coach anywhere within 15 to 25 degrees of
> dead downwind. In light air - do not go there. in heavy air, if you go
> there you are liable to have the round-up of your life. Once she
> starts up -you cannot stop it. When we had a conventional chute, my
> chute trimmer used to trim by the expression on my face. When he saw
> sheer terror he would let the sheet out. We use an assymmetric only
> these days and find it much better. Joe Launie/Macavity
>
> On 5/24/2010 9:40 PM, Steve Smolinske wrote:
>> With the OOR behind us Swiftsure is coming up this weekend and it is
>> time to tap the salty and seasoned experience of the list's
>> skippers.   During the Oregon Offshore the boats upwind perfromance
>> left very little to be desired...we footed faster and pointed higher
>> than just about everyone.  Once we got the right sail plan up we had
>> more than enough power to plow through the waves with very little
>> detriment to boat speed.
>>
>> On the downwind leg we have room for improvement.   Reaching and
>> running the shape looked good so I feel okay about our block and pole
>> locations.  We were running with about 25 knots of apparent and the
>> boat was quite rolly, that was no surprise and to be expected in the
>> conditions, ( we are thinking that the dazy stay sail will help
>> stabilize the boat anyone with experience with a dazy?) but prior to
>> that the best I can describe is sluggish, I wasnt to impressed with
>> our performance.  I dont recall the angles we were sailing but im
>> quessing on the run about 150-160.  Is that to deep?  Its a brand new
>> chute and cut for all purpose and about 100+ square feet larger than
>> the size listed on the site so I would have expected better speed in
>> the lighter winds.  What angles have others found to be the best?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Steve
>> #312 Peregrine
>> Seattle