[C38] Spinnakers

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Tue May 25 13:48:04 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

Your apparent wind speed was 25 knots apparent, i.e. you were in 30 plus
true?  What weight chute were you using?  And when you say that it's a
bit larger than stock is that extra sail area up high in the shoulders?
If so I would say that is the cause of the rolling.  I've regularly
raced on a Serendipity 43 from the same era as our C-38's and we have
one oversize chute that we really like in mid strength wind but it gets
overpowered and the boat gets hard to handle in anything over apx. 20
knots true.  Especially in any kind of decent swell.  All the extra sail
area is high in the shoulders, where there should be more wind above the
water right?, but it's a delicate balancing act!

We also have a dazy but have never tried it as a stabilizer.  Maybe
we'll try it this weekend in the Oceanside to Mission Bay race.

Our tactic is always to sail as deep as possible, cutting the corner
whenever possible to gain an advantage.  We just can't match the A-sail
boats or more modern boats for speed but we sail a shorter distance.
When there is a swell we'll pump the main and when it's flat we'll rig
the preventer.  Anything to gain a little speed.  Cunningham, main
halyard, outhaul, and backstay eased as well for main shape.

I think we all should take some solace in knowing that these boats were
specifically designed to a rating rule that favored pointing and
reaching over downwind speed.  It's hard watching lighter boats with
more waterline length (in the same LOA) roll by downwind though!!!!
Our waterline length fully stretches out when we are on our ear!  The
Serendipity always does very well upwind and then passed downwind,
repeat as necessary.

I'd also like to know what others think of weight distribution going
downwind on a C-38.  On the Serendipity its weight between the spreaders
and the cockpit.  And keep the boat healed a bit to expose the spinnaker
a bit more.  What do you all do?  Weight in the front to help catch
swells, weight in the back for stability?  Keep the boat flat or healed?

This board is great!

Jay Sorensen

#311 Broad Reach

San Diego, CA