[C38] spinnaker moratorium

Charles B. Finn charles at finn.ws
Wed May 26 10:21:37 EDT 2010

My apologies for coming in late of several conversations, but I have
been off sailing!  We folks who spend too much time "on the hard" can
get quite excited about splashing the boat and getting in the first sail
of the year...  So here goes on several of the posts:

Blooper:  I have one loaned out to Bob Porter, who used it competing on
the Great Lakes a couple years back.  I believe he had to give up 5 phrf
to sail it....  Seems a lot, but flying this sail out front of our boats
is a way to get "pulled" downwind.  I have flown these many times over
the years and they are magical when the work.  A little scary too!  It
is a light sail and I doubt it would withstand the kind of winds Steve
is playing in.

Speakers:   I have attached a picture of where my marine waterproof
speakers are installed.  As you can see, they are high up in the cockpit
and to be frank, I think their failure due to water in the cockpit would
not be an issue.  They would hardly be underwater even in a totally
"pooped" situation.   I am an an old "rocker" and this location works
great for being at the wheel, going downwind!   I just got Joe
Bonamassa's new CD and can't wait to hear it on the boat!  (note:  my
wife is not a fan of the speakers... you can really crank them up and
she considers this noise pollution, which means they are off when she is
on the boat.  Also, I don't use them close to shore or on moorings).

Stainless welding:  Stainless welding is pretty much like any other
welding with the exception that it takes a lot more sanding and
buffing.  The stainless attached image shows the aft structure I built
that supports my solar collectors and wind generator  (it could easily
mount radar, but I choose high up on the mast where it does not get in
the way of the sails (radar photo)).   I also rebuilt the port stanchion
area which is in the photo.  Like several of you, this was damaged
during some rough sailing.  I like to think of metal as a kind of "play
doh," that allows much more forming and to be honest... allows for
mistakes without cost!  Weld does not look good?  Grind it off and do it
again!  Welding is much more forgiving than woodwork!   Any MIG machine
can handle stainless (you need different gas and wire, but that is no
more expensive than the regular gas and wire).  If you want to save some
welding shop money, you can offer to do the buffing yourself.  I can
furnish anyone interested with where I get my buffing wheels and
compounds, which should eliminate the "extra" costs a shop might want to
add.
By the way, forming stainless tubing is again pretty simple.  A lot is
made of using "pure" rollers in the forming machine, but a good cleaning
of steel rollers, with a liberal application of grease works just fine.
Every muffler shop has this equipment and they are usually experts at
making bends.  Draw out your template on butcher paper and they should
be able to form your rails for a very reasonable price.

Chuck Finn
Vice Commodore
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes