[C38] Boat Fire

Charles B. Finn charles at finn.ws
Tue Jul 27 12:16:36 EDT 2010

Maybe because I have been a volunteer firefighter since the early 70s
and served as a Chief for 17 years...   I have five extinguishers on
board.  Three are ABC (stern lazzarette, pilot's berth, vee berth) and
two are "C" for electric fires (mounted next to engine compartment door
and in vee berth).  I picked these locations as they are where I would
most likely be if something went wrong...   The ABC extinguishers are
the hose type as no extinguisher should be tilted more than 20 degrees
from vertical as they have a supply tube that runs to the bottom and the
compressed propellant sits above.  Tipping any further just blows the
carbon dioxide propellant!  The hose allows you to apply retardant in
all those hard to reach areas.
Also, these type of extinguishers work by covering the burning material
and denying oxygen.  That means you should shoot the extinguisher at the
base of the fire and not the flame.  They will knock the fire down, but
will only last a short while (I can talk for a long time on the "Fire
Tetrahedron").   While the flames are temporarily down, you need to try
to eliminate the fuel source (disconnect batteries, shut down engine,
turn off propane, turn shutoff on fuel tank,  remove potential flammable
materials such as varnish, acetone).  And it is a real good time to get
your crew on deck with your emergency abandon ship gear (they of course
will all be trying to help or see what is happening).  Just about all
smoke on a boat is harmful or toxic or flammable just waiting for it's
flash point!

Something to keep in mind.  The extinguishers need to be regularly
checked for proper pressure and they need to be banged a bit to ensure
the extinguisher material has not settled and cached in the bottom.  If
they have not been regularly maintained... get rid of them!  Unlike all
the old flares we keep around, you cannot afford the time it takes to
discover the extinguisher is not working!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn,  #114
Great Lakes