[C38] Good news on the officer front and a proposal......

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Tue Oct 5 22:53:30 EDT 2010

  Our Steve Smolinske has agreed to be our Technical Editor!  Steve
comes to the position with a wealth of sailing and technical knowledge
and is one of the very few people I know who can begin to fill the shoes
of Tom Troncalli.  He did make me promise that he would not have to do
this alone and I happily volunteered you all to help out!  Please
welcome Steve to this extremely important position in our Association!

My son, Anders has agreed to step out from behind the screen and
actually become our Webmaster!  While I have been able to cobble things
together (with his help) for our website over the years, he has
forgotten more about programming than I ever knew.....   He says I still
have to run the Listserve because it takes a lot of attention/time that
he does not have (he also told me it would be hard for even an old man
like me to screw it up).  We will shortly see what really can be done
website wise!  By the way, he lives in San Francisco and is always
looking for a C38 to sail on!

And how about this?
The reason I called Larry Malmberg and got into all this Commodore
trouble was to float a proposal for a 2011-13 get-together.  No one
knows for certain, but San Francisco's $270 million bid to host the
America's Cup in 2013 looks pretty good given the home of the cup is the
Golden Gate Yacht Club and Redwood City, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison gets
to make the location decision.  I am told there are at least four and
probably more C38s based in and around San Francisco.   Wouldn't it be
fun if we scheduled a C38 Rendezvous to coincide with the America's Cup
races leading up to the big one in 2013?  Maybe we could get some of our
friends a bit further down the coast to bring their boats up if we can
make arrangements?  Maybe we could even get a few races of or own
going????  Larry Malmberg really likes the idea and maybe we can get
both him and Steve Smolinske to regal us with Trans Pac stories?

Please welcome Steve and Anders to key leadership positions in our
Organization.  Then, what do you think about a Rendezvous?

Regards,
Chuck Finn
Commodore