[C38] Cutlass Bearing Strut Faring

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 10:15:46 EST 2010

Marc,

One thing that hasn’t been noted is that you apparently have a shoal draft C38.  I have never examined the prop shaft on a shoal draft version and so your photo was very interesting to me.  Tom Troncalli owned a shoal draft C38 BTW.

I would think that you don’t have a structural problem if your shaft is firmly attached to the boat.  However, from a water intrusion point of view, I would want to have the area repaired as soon as practical.  We don’t think of fiberglass as being able to soak up water, but it does to some extent.  So the glass needs to be thoroughly dried before the area is repaired and bottom painted.

Phil Gay

C38 049 (deep draft) Que Linda

Everett, WA