[C38] Cutlass Bearing Strut Faring

Marc Stewart mstewart at sounddsl.com
Fri Nov 12 19:56:48 EST 2010

Hi all,
To close this out - first thanks to Max for the link
that provided better pictures of the stock 38 deep
draft strut.  Mine's a deep draft boat but has
apparently been modified w/ the faring around the
strut.  I'm moving to have it properly fixed and MOST
appreciated the pictures to point the yard at the
boundaries beyond which they should not have to
grind(!)  Also, Kent Nelson at Catalina Yachts called
and reiterated what some have said - it's mainly a
cosmetic repair that involves a water tight boundary,
so it should be done carefully out of respect for
that joint.  But it also affords some lateral
stiffening of the strut so in fact has structural
benefit.  So he recommended grinding forward into the
fiberglass faring forward of the strut to lend more
support for the replacement faring around the strut.

Hope this helps, and thank you all again,

Marc Stewart
Palancar, #26
Bainbridge Island, WA

"It is indispensable to the wealth of nations and to
the wage and life standards of labour, that capital
and credit should be honoured and cherished partners
in the economic system...", Winston Churchill on
FDR's "New Deal" policies, 1939.