[C38] Rudder Post Rebuild

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 14 12:41:12 EST 2010

I agree with Chuck on visiting the C38 site for a proper repair to the
rudder post but I am reminded of a C38 sailor many years ago who posted
that he bought some Tedlar film I think he said and just made a shim to
slide down the rudder post from the cockpit after removing the emergency
tiller head.

This was many years ago and I'm not sure if he used Teflon or Tedlar shim
but his claim was that this remedy was easy, cheap, and it prevented
further wear because of the friction fighting properties of the material he
used.

I put a grease fitting on the tube post on our little Catalina 27 after I
repaired the tube and now I just use a grease gun every few years with
waterproof trailer bearing grease to keep the post lubed.

The grease fitting on my C27 is above the waterline which made it easy and
safe and I don't know how it would work below the waterline. The grease
fittings are made of carbon steel and they rust between services so I have
to remove them and replace them with a new one when I do service the tube
but grease fittings are cheap.

The problem with using grease is it only works on a tight tube to keep it
tight and wear free.  If you ever need to repair a loose tube that
previously used grease, it would be a challenge to get the tube completely
grease free before you started repairs.

Anyway, today the tree hugging, people hating, environmentalists would
probably confiscate your boat and send you to jail if they even thought a
drop of grease might accidently get out past the rudder post tube.  Back to
Chuck's idea.........

Tom Troncalli