[C38] Cutlass Bearing Strut Faring

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Sun Nov 14 12:54:51 EST 2010

Excellent discussion!  This is why our Association is so important to
all of us!  Thank you everyone for contributing!

Here is what I know from my research on this over the years.

1.   I seriously looked into shortening my keel a few years back as
there is a set of locks leading the the St. Lawrence Seaway that allow
drafts less than six feet.    Mars Metals out of Canada has made
"torpedo" bulbs for C38s and has the mold in storage.  Their calculation
was I recall, that a five foot draft would require an additional 500
pounds of lead.

2. The Yankee 38s did not come in a shoal keel as far as I can tell.
But, their fin keel design was different than Butler's, so we can
probably surmise that Catalina experimented a bit with the keel in the
beginning.  I certainly would if I were them and kept seeing the
"Catalina Smile!"

3. Until this discussion, I had not seen a shoal draft version of our
boats that had the keel faired the way Tom T. describes.  The ones I had
seen looked pretty much like the 1981 model at this website:
http://boats.iboats.com/1981-catalina-38/664532.html

4.  When I was investigating a shoal draft modification,  I had been
told by someone at Catalina that the shoal keel bolt configuration was
the same as the deep draft keel.  About 10 or so years back, I recall
that Catalina even had some shoal drafts keels available....  I have no
way of verifying any of this other than my old and sometimes faulty memory!

My best guess then is Catalina had two keel molds and could choose which
one to bolt on to their standard hull based upon the order.  Fairing the
keel to the hull is a labor intensive job, which probably allowed the
workers and designers some latitude to experiment.   And that is what
they did.....   probably to see if they could reduce the prop walk.   I
don't think there is any structural aspect to this modification as the
two support points for the prop shaft are the motor/transmission mount
and the cutlass bearing (packing gland is about keeping water out and
does not support).

Tom, how did you keep this long shaft tunnel clean?  Zebra mussels up
here would soon pack this tunnel over a summer.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes!
Chuck Finn
Commodore