[C38] Cutlass Bearing Strut Faring

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Nov 14 21:33:26 EST 2010

When we pulled Pergrine upon purchase, they slide some shims down the shaft as well for the very reasons discussed here.   In the spring we are putting on a new rudder and I will be adressing this same issue at that time.  I just finished rebuilding the pedestal and am planning on writing an article about the entire steering system repair/rebuild after we finish with the new rudder and post.  One thing I can add at this point that I found out from Edson is that our boats originally came with bronze pins for the 4" pulleys on the crossed wire idler, they recommend replacing them with stainless steel as they have seen substantial wear on the bronze.   Mine did have enough wear to prevent the pulley from sliding freely side to side outside of the small groove that was worn in the pin. Edson has the stainless pins available as a replacement part.  Pretty pricey about $40 bucks each.

Regarding the Catalina smile I recently had a discussion with another sailor on a theory as to why the cracks might appear.  We repaired ours last spring, grinding out the crack to the hull, we thought we went deep enough and wide enough to fix the problem, well the crack came back but not near as severe as it had been, on the opposite side where we were not as agressive it came back to the same extent before the repair.  We feel we can go more aggressive on our repair this spring and stop it maybe.   The conversation regarding cause centered around the forces applied to the boat when adjusting the back stay, As we are aware it possible to crank the backstay enough to inhibit doors from closing properly below he felt it didnt take much to move the bow thus the rest of the boat it wouldnt take much to introduce a crack.   I know others without backstays get the smile too so Im sure there are a number of reasons that could all be responsible.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle