[C38] difficulty starting

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 17 17:04:34 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 08:53 -0800, Patrick Harpole wrote:
> I have a 3 cylinder Universal Diesel and sometimes it will not start.  I
> have changed the fuel pump and the fuel filter.
> Sometimes when I bleed it, it will start.  Other times it won't.
> Can it get "flooded"?
> Patrick on the San Francisco Bay

Check the solenoid that powers the glow plugs.  If the preheat current
is not sufficient, the engine doesn't get warm enough for the prestart.
Also check the connections to that whole circuit.  I don't know why
bleeding it would help.  But maybe someone else has some other
experience.  If bleeding always helped, then I would be suspicious of a
bad fuel line or a poor seal on one of the filters, letting air into the
fuel system.

Regards,
Les H