[C38] difficulty starting

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Nov 28 22:59:27 EST 2010

Last year I started a small simple project I was going to replace my alternator with a higher output model.  That grew into replacing the engine wiring which in turn led me to rewiring the engine panel and since I was working on the circuit anyway properly attacking the batteries and the charging circuit.   Some things that I noticed and learned along the way were #1 the original wiring harness is a scary piece of equipment, plugs were loose, it was cracked and taped together.  So I upgraded the wiring from the 14 or 16 guage that it is wired with to 10 throughout.  Im a firm believer in less resistance even if 16 is adequate.  #2 removed the amp meter and installed a voltmeter thus routing the start battery to the starter rather than the control panel.  I also installed a circuit breaker inline from the alternator to the batteries and then another at the batteries.    I had to upgrade my automatic charging relay and installed a new battery charger.  #3  battery terminals per ABYC should have no more than two (2) connections at the stud any more need to go to a bus bar or grounding post.

Im not an electrical expert but have enough experience to make me dangerous and I realize this.  So what I did to save money was diagramed out the layout then forwarded it to an expert in our area.   For a nominal fee he reviewed the diagram, added suggestions and even made a visit to check the final work.  He made a few additions to my diagram so that the work was to ABYC standards.  I may still have the diagrams I drew up if anyone is interested.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle