[C38] Protruding bolts question

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 00:13:34 EST 2010

Hey Dan, You are right, that's the original design...... The deck is around
2", or maybe larger, but I don't know the exact measure.  The core is balsa
wood. I think that if you make that recess, you'll get to the balsa, or at
least very close, and then you'll  be compromising strength...
On the other side, the cap nut do have enough threads, so I guess that they
install the regular ones just to make sure that they won't become
loose....Perhaps, some Loctite might do the job...
The jam nuts will work, but they will look awful!!
Assuming that your boat has the original light fixtures installed on the
deck's inner liner (ceiling!), be very careful not to damage the wires if
you make a recess for them, since according to Tom's experience, those wires
can't be replaced, since they were fiberglassed in with the liner....
. Just my thoughts!
Regards,
Max

2010/11/17 Dan Kueng <feedback6 at blueline-studios.com>

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Is there a solution for doing away with the protruding bolt nuts on deck
> and
> those inside on the ceiling?  The latter have a washer, nut and cap nut.
>  Is
> this really the original design?  Why not at least use a jam nut to limit
> the bolt length a little?  Plus locking should even be better:
>  http://www.epcserver.com/Structural/Analysis/connection/info_jamnut.asp
>
> Assuming that the deck is about an inch thick, would it be possible to make
> a recess withough compromising strength?  Or is there any other design that
> does away with the protruing nuts?
>
> What material is the core?  Were there any material variations?
>
> On a similar note, did anyone install recessed cabin lights?  Like those:
>
> http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productI
>
> d=96870&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10
> 571&classNum=10576
> I assume that they need around half an inch depth.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dan Kueng

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA