[C38] Mast leak

William Knowles whk1965 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 08:55:16 EST 2010

If you are planning to pull or just lift the mast the common fix is to drill
a hole at an angle through the the base and the supporting block to drain
water into the bilge. It may be a good idea to check the wood block , mine
had rotted away and the survey did not find it we sailed for over a  year
until the cabin sole cracked. On the positive side it shows how well built
(heavy construction) these boats are.

Bill Flying Goose 324

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Joseph Launie <jlaunie at cox.net> wrote:

> Dan,
>    Its not the bilge water that bothers me, it is the water that stands on
> the salon floor. Since the mast is hollow and rain water finds its way
> inside, I do not know of a fix - but then, I live in the desert. Joe
> Launie/Macavity
>

> On 11/19/2010 10:18 PM, Dan Kueng wrote:
>
>> Is leaking water through the mast into the bilge a common problem?  Is
>> there
>> a fix?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dan