[C38] Mast leak

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 10:22:16 EST 2010

Sealing the mast at the deck will mitigate the amount of water entering the
boat, but as Joe points out the mast is hollow and full of holes...so there
will inevitably be some amount of water in our boats.  Regarding water on
the salon floor, I have two 1/4" (or less...going by memory) drain holes
drilled in the floor recess (fore and aft of the mast) outside of the mast
and mast step and have never noticed water on the floor.  To me it makes the
most sense to drain at this point because its lower that the step assembly
and will therefore catch more water.

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 8:55 AM, William Knowles <whk1965 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are planning to pull or just lift the mast the common fix is to
> drill a hole at an angle through the the base and the supporting block to
> drain water into the bilge. It may be a good idea to check the wood block ,
> mine had rotted away and the survey did not find it we sailed for over a
>  year until the cabin sole cracked. On the positive side it shows how well
> built (heavy construction) these boats are.
>
> Bill Flying Goose 324
>

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Joseph Launie <jlaunie at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Dan,
>>    Its not the bilge water that bothers me, it is the water that stands on
>> the salon floor. Since the mast is hollow and rain water finds its way
>> inside, I do not know of a fix - but then, I live in the desert. Joe
>> Launie/Macavity
>>

>> On 11/19/2010 10:18 PM, Dan Kueng wrote:
>>
>>> Is leaking water through the mast into the bilge a common problem?  Is
>>> there
>>> a fix?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dan