[C38] I Believe I Can Fly

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 20 21:09:42 EST 2010

I don't want to turn this into a debate.  I have been on the ocean for
more than 45 years, and I know that the ice is still greater than when I
first went to sea.  I know that the lower low tide mark is still visible
at lower low tide in the Phillipines (there was even a TV show with the
reporter standing on dry sand pointing to it just last year).

	The "Global Warming" data was parsed, and a histogram shows that
parsing.  The emails where dissenting opinions were surpressed are well
known now, and the total artifice of the hockey stick has already been
put to bed by the gentleman whose data was first arbitrarily edited to
create it.

	The NASA scientists have admitted their measurements were off, and the
tree rings used in the UN report were from trees that are known by
climatologists to provide data that is not accurate when compared with
all other tree rings, including the giant redwoods. (which are still one
of the best long term indicators of global conditions).

	Mankind is less than 0.01% of the biomass on earth.  We live on less
than 10% of the planet, the North Pole is not land, and if it should
melt, it will not raise the water level one inch.  All the Glacers on
earth that are on land occupy less than 5% of the available landmass.

	There are no creditable indications that the combined efforts of man
have any impact on the environment at all.

	That is not to say that Global Warming might exist or not exist, only
that the entire effort of mankind is not significant on the amount of
energy or anything else imposed on the planet.

	For example the Mount St. Helens eruption exceed mankinds total CO2
output for many years.  And it is only one of 10 or so such large
eruptions in the last 30 years.  I personally watched a volcano erupt
from the sea bed in the middle of the Pacific, where the bottom was more
than 2 miles below the surface.  The eruption began a day before we got
there, and rose in 2 days to penetrate the surface of the sea in a
cauldera nearly 300 yards across.  The steam and gas cloud was nearly
1/2 mile in diameter and lasted the three days I saw it, and for several
weeks after that.  That is real energy, and I wouldn't guess at how it
ranks compared to our puny manipulations.  Moreover eruptions occur
about 2.5 times/month, although the big ones are much less frequent.

	In the grander scheme of the world, our pitiful efforts are not much
significance, either for or against the environment.  Nature wins in the
end.

	A road deserted in the jungle disappears in less than 3 seasons.  A
concrete high way in less than a decade.

	The energy hitting earth from the sun is about 197,000,000 square
miles*4,000,000 square yards in a square mile*1000 watts per square
yard(approx)*2.75 hours (averaged for full intensity exposure over the
angle of the surface and 24 hours) in watts/day.

	For all our yammering, our power production and any effects it has is a
pitiful drop in the bucket.

	I do believe we need nuclear energy, fusion if we can get it to work,
fission if not.  Not biofuel because we need to reinvigorate the earth
with the debris we don't eat, not sun light (if we turn that solar
energy into electricity, we are producing a type of energy pollution
that is far more damaging than most people realize), and not by any
magic.  Just a good economical design of a 24/7 energy source.  But this
has nothing to do with Global Warming, but rather a good solid bit of
real intelligence about our real place in the universe.

	The sky is not falling, and only Al Gore and his chosen friends will
get rich and still drive their armored limos, fly in private jets and
laugh at the fools whose livelihood they are stealing.

	We need to explore space, do real research for the next planet for our
species, and find if we are really alone, we need good energy so our
children have a bright and hopeful future, and we don't need to saddle
them with unworkable "solutions" that simply enrich others at their
expense.

	You are free to disagree, but this is my last word on the subject.

Regards,
Les H