[C38] difficulty starting

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Nov 26 13:42:20 EST 2010

David,
I see we are thinking along the same lines!  Ever since Tom T. made us
aware of the dangers of our amp meters and Larry M. had is fire, I have
been thinking of the last high amp draw that goes all the way from our
battery, to the control panel, to the engine.  That of course is the
glow plug circuit.  When you think about it, this is another really dumb
idea for two reasons.  First is the possibility of wire fatigue/wear and
fire.  Second is the voltage drop.
My thinking is the best answer is re-wire the glow plug circuit with an
inexpensive starter solenoid ($15).  This will dramatically shorten the
wire distance and reduce the chance of fire.  It will also eliminate the
last high amp connection to the wire harness and control panel.  I am
thinking starter solenoid because they can handle much more than 20 amps
and are off the shelf.  Will also install a 25 amp in-line slow fuse.

This seem like such a simple answer that I am worried I am missing
something....  Especially since solenoids have been around forever!

Thoughts?

Chuck Finn
Commodore